Retainer For Victoria Workshop: April 2018
Baby and Child Workshop
Come and join me for a two-day workshop in beautiful Victoria, British Columbia where you will learn how to compose, capture, and edit beautiful, authentic, fine art photographs.
* Four weeks prior to our start date I will host an online webinar discussing the “basics” that go into fine art photography. I will cover camera settings and how to achieve tack-sharp images while retaining a soft and dreamy quality. I will cover lens choice and why and when it is useful to use some lenses over others. I will also touch on successful branding and why it is important. I like to get this stuff out of the way before the workshop commences so that we can focus on the ‘good’ stuff once we arrive in Victoria. :-)
* We will check into our accommodations at 2:00 p.m. on Friday and meet for a light lunch, followed by a 2-hour presentation. During our 2-hour presentation, I will walk you through how to search out gorgeous light and how to make the most of seemingly drab locations, and locations with less-than optimal lighting conditions. I will discuss what I look for in locations and how I use them for both babies and children as well as how to create compelling compositions.
* After our first presentation, we will meet for a quick dinner and then head out to our first shoot to put some of what we have covered to practice. I will teach you how to shoot in the hour before golden hour and make it work, as well as how to shoot during the last light of the evening.
* We will then head back to our accommodation and I will cover newborn photography outdoors, sleeping older babies, locations scouting and composition for babies and newborns, and safety. This will all be done in preparation for an early morning newborn shoot on Saturday.
* At 7:00 a.m on Saturday morning, we will meet for breakfast and prepare to be on location for our newborn shoot by 8:00 a.m. During our newborn shoot, we will walk through the woods and I will show you what I look for in locations and how to search out good light for little baby bundles. We will pose our newborn model in the woods and take turns spotting baby to keep him/her safe while shooting.
* We will then meet back at the accommodation for lunch. I will follow lunch with another presentation that covers how to create natural-looking storytelling images of babies and children and how to create images that portray emotion. I will also reveal how to use wardrobe to create harmonious compositions that aid in the narrative of your images.
* I will follow this presentation by doing an in depth portfolio review of your top five images, discussing areas of strength in your images and aspects of your images that have room for improvement. I believe that constructive criticism is a vital component to progressing in any field. I offer CC at every step along the way in hopes that it will help you grow and create well thought-out images.
* On Saturday evening, we will meet for our final shoot. We will cover how to photograph babies and small children and make the most of ordinary locations while doing so. We will then move on to older subjects. I will show you how I look for locations that are suitable for older children and adults while we photograph our last models of the evening.
* We will wrap up portfolio reviews on Saturday evening after our shoot.
*Finally, On Sunday, I will finish the workshop by teaching you how to breathe life into your images and push them to the next level through hand-editing. We will meet for a 7:00 a.m breakfast once again and start our editing session at 8:00 a.m. We will wrap up the workshop at 11:30.
Please note that the schedule may change based on the whether or general shooting conditions outdoors. xo
My goal in teaching this workshop is that you all leave with the tools to compose the images that YOU dream of creating.
*** I will be providing shared accommodations as well yummy, healthy meals for all attendees :-). People will be paired two to a room. All meals will be provided in our general meeting area.
Check-in is at 2:00 on Friday and check-out is at 11:30 on Sunday.
A 50% non-refundable retainer is required to book ($975). Payment plans are available (please inquire and I can set that up for you). The full list price is due by January 15th, 2018). This listing is non-refundable.
Please note that this listing is for a retainer only. The full list price is $1950 USD. The payment schedule is listed below.
Retainer 1) $450: Required to book your seat
Retainer 2) $500: Due November 1st, 2017
Retainer 3) $1000: Due January 15th, 2018
A minimum of 10 attendees are required for the workshop to take place. I will accept a maximum of 12.
Workshops are prohibited to those who mentor, host workshops, create actions, or sell photography videos, and those located within 500 kms of Grande Prairie, Alberta. Participants will be required to sign a 2-year non-compete contract. This means that you cannot teach photography-related workshops for two years after taking this workshop. I am willing to make exceptions for those teaching studio newborn photography. Just ask me to amend the contract to exclude studio newborn work.